Friday, July 12, 2013


In the Beginning 

       I started climbing in Little Cottenwood Canyon (LCC) in 2006. My pot dealer at the time was a pro rock climber, and he gave me two videos (vhs) Rampage and Dosage V1. I watched them religiously every day. I had never thought about climbing in the way those videos portrayed. I think the thing that attracted me most to climbing was the endless mental and physical challenges, plus the beauty. So, I bought a crash pad and shoes and started wandering around LCC climbing anything that looked fun unknowingly climbing a few v4's. A couple weeks later I bumped into a guy out climbing and he showed me a guide book. My mind was blown.  Before climbing I always loved rocky terrain and hiking around in the canyon seeing what crazy location I could get myself into.  Just six months into climbing I moved to Seattle.
      When I first arrived in Seattle I was so pissed. I had just moved from the climbing meca that is Utah where boulders were ten minutes from my house to Washington. At the time, I had never heard of a good climbing area in Washington besides alpine.  So I started that rainy winter with my first experience indoors at Stone Gardens, what a change it was. I would ask people about climbing areas (it's funny looking back at it now they recommended the worst areas), and they told me about Vantage, exit 32-38, and some basalt area down south. I looked them up and was not impressed. By chance I was reading a climbing magazine and there was an obituary of a climber Damian Potts. It said he was the co-author and developer of a granite bouldering area in Leavenworth, Washington. That was enough to convince me to drive out there and buy the first guide book "A Cheesy Guide to Pleasing Rock." It was such a beautiful area with grippy and awesome lines everywhere. That first season I never saw any boulderers except  Kelly Sheridan, Kyle O'meara, and Cole Allen.
          In 2008 I started to make leaps and bounds in my climbing. I met Luke Simmons and Eric (hobbit). Now I had some strong climbers to help push me and I started to get some of the classic lines I had been dreaming about.
                                  This video showcases some of my milestones that season

No comments:

Post a Comment